Critical Incidents Report for January and February 2022
In January and February, TMPA opened 37 case files for critical incidents Critical incidents are cases in which an officer’s actions, conduct, or omissions resulted in the death or serious bodily injury of a person; or could have resulted in such harm as a result of the officer intentionally discharging his or her firearm. These critical incidents involved members from various agencies throughout the state including: Alvarado Police Department, Alvin Police Department, Atascosa Co. Sheriff’s Office, Athens Police Department, Bedford Police Department, Boerne Police Department, Cedar Park Police Department, Chambers Co. Sheriff’s Office, Cherokee Co. Sheriff’s Office, College Station Police Department, Deer Park Police Department, Fort Bend Co. Sheriff’s Office, Galveston Co. Sheriff’s Office, Gillespie Co. Sheriff’s Office, Goliad Co. Sheriff’s Office, Greenville Police Department, Harris Co. Const. Pct. 8, Harris Co. Sheriff’s Office, Lyford Police Department, Manvel Police Department, Mesquite Police Department, Montgomery Co. Sheriff’s Office, Murphy Police Department, New Braunfels Police Department, Pasadena Police Department, Pearland Police Department, Plano Police Department, Princeton Police Department, Richardson Police Department, Smith Co. Sheriff’s Office, Via Metro Transit Police Department, Victoria Co. Sheriff’s Office, Washington Co. Sheriff’s Office, Wichita Falls Police Department, and included the following:
1. Members made an arrest and the suspect died in the backseat of the patrol car.
2. Member was involved in an arrest with a suspect who ingested cocaine. After EMS was called, the suspect died.
3. Members were pursuing a vehicle that crashed, causing serious bodily injury.
4. Member was in pursuit of a suspect. Suspect crashed into a 3rd party vehicle causing injuries.
5. Member discharged firearm at a fleeing shoplifting suspect who pointed an object at member. The suspect was not hit but did receive a head injury when tackled by member.
6. Member was involved in a pursuit with a suspect on a motorcycle. The motorcycle crashed and the suspect was transported to the hospital with life-threatening injuries.
7. Member was involved in an accident involving a pedestrian who suffered serious injuries.
8. Member responded to a disturbance call involving an excited, delirium suspect. While being detained, the suspect stopped breathing and passed away.
9. Member was involved in an in-custody death.
10. Member was involved in a critical incident involving a suicidal person threatening to jump off a bridge.
11. Member was involved in a pursuit that ended in a fatality.
12. Member encountered an erratic subject wielding a shotgun. Member deployed taser on subject who suffered a head injury and passed away.
13. Member was involved in a pursuit and fired duty weapon to disable fleeing vehicle.
14. Member was involved in a traffic stop that ended in a shooting.
15. Members were involved in a pursuit that ended with a car fire and a fatality.
16. Members were involved in an on-duty shooting with an armed suicidal suspect.
17. Members were involved in an in-custody death.
18. Member was shot at by suspect and member returned fire.
19. Member was involved in a pursuit resulting in a crash with major injuries.
20. Member was involved in an in-custody death.
21. Member was attempting to arrest a murder suspect when the suspect pulled a gun from waistband. Member discharged firearm ending the threat.
22. Member was involved in a pursuit and shooting with a suicidal subject.
23. Member was involved in a pursuit that ended with a fatality.
24. Member was involved in an in-custody death.
25. Member was involved in a fleet crash while arriving at the scene of a shooting.
26. Twelve other critical incidents involving an on-duty shooting