Critical Incidents Report for March 2021
In March, TMPA opened 15 case files for critical incidents Critical incidents are cases in which an officer’s actions, conduct, or omissions resulted in the death or serious bodily injury of a person; or could have resulted in such harm as a result of the officer intentionally discharging his or her firearm.
These critical incidents involved members from various agencies throughout the state including: Collin County Sheriff’s Office, Fort Bend County Sheriff’s Office, Fort Worth Police Department, Galveston County Sheriff’s Office, Gillespie County Sheriff’s Office, Grand Prairie Police Department, Harrison County Sheriff’s Office, Henderson County Sheriff’s Office, Monahans Police Department, Montgomery County Constable Precinct 4, Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office, Mt. Pleasant Police Department, Seabrook Police Department, Victoria County Sheriff’s Office, Wylie Police Department, and included the following:
1. Member was involved in an in-custody death.
2. Member was involved in a pursuit that ended in a fatal crash.
3. Members were investigating a juvenile runaway situation. Members located juvenile at the juvenile’s adult partner’s house. During the detention, the juvenile’s partner produced a handgun and committed suicide.
4. Members responded to a stolen vehicle report. Upon locating an abandoned, stolen vehicle, a second vehicle arrived on scene. When officers attempted to stop the vehicle, the driver drove toward the officers and civilians. Member fired one round and the vehicle drove away. Soon after, the vehicle was found with an occupant suffering a gunshot wound.
5. Member was involved in an in-custody death.
6. Member was involved in an on-duty shooting and was shot.
7. Member was involved in an in-custody death.
8. Member made a traffic stop and was notified of an armed person firing a gun. Member ultimately shot person, ending the threat.
9. Member was forced to subdue an attacking dog where the dog ultimately died.
10. Member was dispatched to a suspicious vehicle call. Once member arrived on scene and made contact with the driver, the driver put vehicle in drive and drove towards member. Member fired one round with service weapon, striking vehicle. Nobody was hit and suspect was taken into custody.
11. Member was involved in an on-duty shooting, where the suspect was hit. No officers were injured.
12. Four critical incidents involving an on-duty shooting.