Critical Incidents Report for April 2021
In April, TMPA opened 17 case files for critical incidents Critical incidents are cases in which an officer’s actions, conduct, or omissions resulted in the death or serious bodily injury of a person; or could have resulted in such harm as a result of the officer intentionally discharging his or her firearm.
These critical incidents involved members from various agencies throughout the state including: Aransas Pass e Department, Archer County Sheriff’s Office, Boerne Police Department, Buda Police Department, Burleson Police Department, Sel Rio Police Department, Frisco Police Department, Harris County Constable Precinct 3, Harris County Sheriff’s Office, Kermit Police Department, Mesquite Police Department, Richardson Police Department, Rosenburg Police Department, Taft Police Department, Via Metro Transit Police Department, Wilson County Sheriff’s Office, and included the following:
1. Member was involved in a confrontation with an inmate. The inmate was shoved and fell, incurring a head injury.
2. Member was involved in a pursuit that ended in a double fatality.
3. Member was a witness to an in-custody death.
4. Member responded to a call regarding a suspect with a gun. When officers arrived on scene, the suspect, who was wielding a rifle, ran into an abandoned house with officers following. Suspect raised the rifle and officers fired several rounds, striking suspect multiple times. No officers were injured.
5. Member was involved in a shooting while on a traffic stop.
6. Member was involved in a pursuit that ended in a fatality.
7. Member was involved in a pursuit that ended with suspect crashing and being ejected from vehicle.
8. Members were involved in a shooting that ended with suspect being shot.
9. Member was involved in a shooting with an armed suspect.
10. Members were involved in an on-duty shooting that ended with suspect being shot.
11. Member was involved in a pursuit that ended in a fatal crash.
12. Six critical incidents involving an on-duty shooting.