Critical Incidents Report for April 2023
In April, TMPA opened 17 case files for critical incidents Critical incidents are cases in which an officer’s actions, conduct, or omissions resulted in the death or serious bodily injury of a person; or could have resulted in such harm as a result of the officer intentionally discharging his or her firearm. These critical incidents involved members from various agencies throughout the state including:
Bastrop County Sheriff's Office, Bell County Sheriff's Office, Caldwell County Sheriff's Office, Denison Police Department, Edinburg Police Department, Grapeland Police Department, Hays County Sheriff's Office, Jarrell Police Department, Lubbock Police Department, Manor Police Department, Mesquite Police Department, Montgomery County Sheriff's Office, Polk County Sheriff's Office, Sugar Land Police Department, Wichita County Sheriff's Office and include the following:
1. Member was involved in a vehicle pursuit that resulted in a shooting when suspect vehicle reversed towards officers. No injuries reported.
2. Member responded to a “man with a gun” call. When officers arrived on scene, the suspect took off on foot and began firing a gun at officers. Member and other officers returned fire, ending the threat.
3. Member and another officer responded to a disturbance involving a man wielding a sword. After a foot pursuit, the suspect charged member with the sword. Member fired duty weapon stopping the threat.
4. Member responded to a disturbance call and was involved in a shooting.
5. Member was involved in a standoff and shooting with an armed suspect until the SWAT team arrived. Suspect was believed to be wounded.
6. Member was involved in a pursuit with a suspect. The suspect vehicle crashed into an innocent vehicle, killing the driver.
7. Member was involved in the shooting of a dog.
8. Member responded to a disturbance call involving a suspicious person who was entering people’s backyards and banging on doors. Member and another officer made contact with the subject who appeared to be in a delirium state. Officers tried to restrain the subject who fell to the ground and died before EMS could arrive on scene.
9. Member was involved in an in-custody death involving an inmate suicide.
10. Member was involved in a pursuit that ended in fatality.
11. Seven other critical incidents involving an on-duty shooting.