Critical Incidents Report for February 2021
In February, TMPA opened 13 case files for critical incidents Critical incidents are cases in which an officer’s actions, conduct, or omissions resulted in the death or serious bodily injury of a person; or could have resulted in such harm as a result of the officer intentionally discharging his or her firearm.
These critical incidents involved members from various agencies throughout the state including: Balcones Heights Police Department, Bedford Police Department, Brownsville Police Department, Carrollton Police Department, Corinth Police Department, Lubbock Police Department, Portland Police Department, Progreso Police Department, San Antonio ISD Police Department, Snyder Police Department, Texas DPS, Victoria County Sheriff’s Department, Wallis Police Department, and included the following:
1. Member was involved in a shooting on a traffic stop with a reckless driver. The driver displayed a weapon and was ultimately shot by other responding officers.
2. Member was involved in a critical incident where a suspect died.
3. Member was involved in a critical incident where a fleeing felon was tased which caused the suspect to fall and sustain injuries to the head.
4. Member was involved in a shooting while arresting a separate suspect. A pursuit came towards member who then fired rounds at the suspect vehicle, disabling it. No officers were injured.
5. Member was involved in an in-custody death where a suspect was arrested and handcuffed but later died.
6. Member was involved in a critical incident where an inmate died from an overdose.
7. Member was responding to a shoplifting call that ended in a shooting.
8. Member was involved in a critical incident where a suspect died after being arrested.
9. Five critical incidents involving an on duty shooting.