Critical Incidents Report for January 2021
In January, TMPA opened 13 case files for critical incidents Critical incidents are cases in which an officer’s actions, conduct, or omissions resulted in the death or serious bodily injury of a person; or could have resulted in such harm as a result of the officer intentionally discharging his or her firearm. These critical incidents involved members from various agencies throughout the state including: Bedford Police Department, Bexar County Sheriff’s Department, College Station Police Department, Harris County Sheriff’s Department, Irving Police Department, Killeen Police Department, Pasadena Police Department, Pleasanton Police Department, Seymour Police Department, Victoria Police Department, Wharton County Sheriff’s Department, and included the following:
1. Member was dispatched to a disturbance call and, upon arrival, was confronted with an armed suspect who began shooting. Member returned fire.
2. Member and other officers were involved in a shooting while working an extra job. Member and suspect received gunshot wounds.
3. Member was involved in a critical incident where the suspect committed suicide.
4. Member was involved in an on-duty shooting.
5. Member was involved in an on-duty shooting that left no officers injured, but suspect shot in the arm.
6. Member was involved in a critical incident where an inmate suffered a heart attack and later died.
7. Member was involved in a pursuit which ended with injuries to occupants of suspect vehicle.
8. Member was involved in an on-duty shooting.
9. Member was involved in an in-custody death where a pregnant suspect was arrested and brought in on narcotics charges. It was later discovered the fetus was deceased.
10. Members were involved in a vehicle pursuit where the suspect shot at members. Members returned fire and stopped the threat with no injuries to the members.
11. Member was involved in a critical incident and was shot.
12. Member was involved in a shooting and a vehicle pursuit with a murder suspect. The suspect disabled member’s vehicle and was later killed by other responding officers.
13. Member was involved in a chase of a suspect that ended with a shooting